Dr Anna Ulrikke Andersen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Disobedient Buildings Project, University of Oxford
Junior Research Fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford
2021 Fellow Future Architecture, the European Architecture Programme
Film Study Center Harvard Fellow 2018/2019
Architectural Historian and Filmmaker
annaulrikkeandersen [@] yahoo.com
Twitter Academia.edu Vimeo Instagram
- an A to X of Chronic Illness: patients’ architectural histories (an incomplete guide) 2018 –
- The Fenestral Essay Film 2011-2018
- Architecture and Translation 2012-2018
- 2020 – 2022. Postdoctoral Reseracher at the Disobedient Buildings Project, School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography, Univeristy of Oxford. Funded by AHRC.
- 2021. Fellow Future Architecture, European Architecture Programme. Curator of Chronic Conditions: Body and Building commissioned and organised by Lisboa Architecture Triennale.
- 2020. Co-director of Ubehandlet with Anne Silje Bø. Funded by The Norwegian Arts Fund.
- 2019. Vising Scholar at Vanderbilt University. Sponsored by Professor Lutz Koepnick.
- 2018 – 2019. Film Study Center Harvard Fellow, Harvard University. Visiting Fellow at the Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, Harvard University. Sponsored by Professor Lucien Castaing-Taylor.
- 2018 – 2019. Viken Filmsenter Fordypningsstipend
- 2014 – 2018. PhD Architectural Design, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, UK. “Ten Windows Following Christian Norberg-Schulz: framing, mobility and self-reflection explored through the fenestral essay film.” Supervision: Professor Jane Rendell and Dr Claire Thomson.
- 2012 – 2013. MA Architectural History (Distinction), The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, UK.
- 2009 – 2012. BA Art History (First degree), University of Oslo, Norway.
- 02/2008 – 06/2008. C1 German Language Diploma, ActiLingua, Vienna, Austria.
- On Being and Bathing (2021)
- Architecture Beyond Sight (2019).
- Cleaning at Utzon’s (2019).
- Calypso y Bolero (2019).
- X for Methotrexate (2019).
- H for Hand (2018).
- Villa Casino (2018).
- X / Earwitness (2018) co-directed with Ruth Bernatek.
- Calcata (2017).
- Journey to Italy (2017).
- The Norwegian Institute in Rome (2016).
- The Death of a Chemist (2016).
- The Window and I (2015).
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place (2013).
- Pies i Kot (2010) co-directed with Lars Ole Kristiansen.
- Following Norberg-Schulz: An Architectural History through the Essay Film. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2022.
- “X for Methotrexate: Groundedness filmed from the Rheumatic Body” in The International Journal of Creative Media Research, 6, May 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33008/IJCMR.2020.33
- “A Rendez-vous with Christian Norberg-Schulz: Drinking Campari at Piazza Navona.’ In response to Sharon Kivland, ‘ENVOIS II: Letters from JL to SK 1954-1955.” OAR Issue 3 (2018). OAR: The Oxford Artistic and Practice Based Research Platform Issue 3 (2021),
- “The Death of the Chemist: the role of sound in the life and work of Christian Norberg-Schulz explored through the essay form in film and writing” InForma Journal, 12, September 2019, 176-187.
- “The Norwegian Institute in Rome” Screenworks, 10, September 2019.
- “Translation in the Architectural Phenomenology of Christian Norberg-Schulz,” Architectural Research Quarterly, 2018, 22:1, 81-90.DIO: 10.1017/S1359135518000088
- “Architecture Beyond Sight: Filming Blindness” in Forms of the Cinematic: Architecture, Arts, and the Sciences, Ed. Mark Breeze. London: Bloomsbury Press, 2021.
- “Water: Changeante comme la mer” in Film as Resonance, eds. Thi Phuong-Trâm Nguyen and Sander Hölsgens, 20-27. London: University College London, 2017.
- “Pasientenes arkitekturhistorie: Ubehandlet” with Anne Silje Bø. Oslo: ROM forlag, 27.04.2021.
- “Windows”, Episode 50 of The Boring Talks, BBC. 06.04.2020.
- “Kjemikerens død [The Death of the Chemist]”, in Site-Writing, ed by Jane Rendell, 01.04.2019.
- “Agnès Varda in a Box: Inhabiting TOUT(e) VARDA” in Montages Magazine, 30.03.2019.
- “Architecture Experienced: Christian Norberg-Schulz’s autobiography” (“Experiencia de la Arquitectura: autobiografia de Christian Norberg-Schulz”) in Eficiencia + Experiencia: Hacia una arquitectura del confort,edited by Rodrigo Velasco Gómez, Diego Chavarro Ayala, Juanita Botero López and Carlos Iván Rueda Plata, translated from English to Spanish by Constanza Morales Mair, 106 – 119. Bogotá: Universidad Piloto de Colombia, 2018.
- “Bartlett Filmmakers on Top of the World” in Bartlett Doctoral Review. Eds: Stephen Marshall, 17. London: The Bartlett School of Architecture, 2018.
- “Fill in that Window: a decision by Christian Norberg-Schulz” in Lobby 1961. Lobby Magazine, London, 2017.
- “Norwegian Films Make a Strong Mark on the Inaugural Edition of Architecture Film Festival London” in Montagesmagazine.com, 26.05.2017.
- “Preface” in Film as Resonance, eds. Thi Phuong-Trâm Nguyen and Sander Hölsgens. London: University College London, 2017.
- “Following Christian Norberg-Schulz” in Lobby Clairvoyance, Lobby Magazine. London, 2015.
- “Det ytre mot det indre: om symbiosen mellom juvet landskapshotell og ex-machina” Montages.no. 07.05.2015.
- “Hva er Nordisk filmfestival?” Montages.no
- “Translation Transposition Translocation” in Bartlett 2014, p 307. London, 2014.
- “A Study of a Window” in Room 101. London, 2013.
- Unpublished MA report: Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz, 1973 – 1980. The Bartlett School of Architecture, 2013.
- “Hvordan skal vi minnes?” Klassekampen. 02.08.2011.
- “Introduction” (2008) “Kapitalisme” (2008) “Utlandet” (2009) “Bursdag” (2010) issues of the comic book Circus Universe
Public presentations and guest lectures
- Revisiting Histories (Panellist) by Future Architecture, Creative Exchange 2021, MAO Museum of Architecture and Design, Slovenia, 04.03.2021.
- Disability, Architecture and Anthropology, (Guest Lecturer) University College London, Anthropology and the Built Environment, 12-13.02.2021
- Filmmaking for Architecture (Guest Lecturer) Leeds Beckett University, At a Distance: Spaces of Encounter and Care. 12 and 22.02.2021.
- Remote Research During a Pandemic (Panellist) by Alen Agaronov, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, 05.05.2020.
- Finishing the PhD (Guest lecturer) at The Bartlett School of Architecture, Work in Progress PhD Seminar, 07.04.2020.
- Sanatorium Series (Panellist) by Abi Palmer, Sanatorium Series/Penned in the Margins, 06.04.2020.
- The Practice-Led Thesis (Guest lecturer) at Graduate Seminar, Comparative Media Analysis and Practice, at Vanderbilt University, 19.11.2019.
- Looking at Windows: The Essay Form in Film and Writing as a Method of Architectural History (Guest Lecturer) at Vanderbilt University, 18.11.2019
- Alternative Views: MRI and X-ray in Critical Spatial Practices, (Guest lecturer) at Harvard Biorobotics Laboratory 13.06.2019
- Filming Christian Norberg-Schulz’s Windows (Guest lecturer) at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture. 27.03.2019
- Experiencing Architecture: Christian Norberg-Schulz’s autobiography (Keynote) Eficiencia + Experiencia: Hacia una arquitectura del confort, Bogotá: Universidad Piloto de Colombia, 29-31.08.2018
- The Fenestral Essay Film (Guest speaker) Figurations, The Bartlett School of Architecture, 25.04.2018.
- Architecture and Film (Introduction and Chair) Arctic Moving Image and Film Festival, Harstad, 22.10.2017.
- The Making of an Architectural Essay film: Calcata (2017) (Guest lecturer) Situated Practices MA, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, 12.10.2017.
- From Above (Introduction and Chair) Architecture Film Festival London, Institute of Contemporary Arts, 11.06.2017.
- From Les Fenêtres to Genius Loci: Norberg-Schulz’s adaption of Rainer Maria Rilke’s Windows (Conference paper) PhD research projects conference, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, 21.02.2017.
- Water (Conference presentation) Postmodernism Interest Group, EAHN 2016) University of Dublin, 01.06.2016.
- The Death of the Chemist (Lecture) Trondheim Academy of Fine Art, NTNU, 23.05.2016.
- Christian Norberg-Schulz’s Windows: From Rilke’s Les Fenêtres to genius loci. (Seminar presentation) Norsk Moderne Arkitektur, The University of Oslo, 29.04.2016.
- The Death of the Chemist (Seminar presentation) Found Footage | Archival Material, The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. 03.12.0216
- Other Windows (Seminar) The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture. 10.01.2016.
- The Weight of Cinema (Seminar presentation) On the Shoot! The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. 03.12.0216
- The Window and I (Conference paper) Geographical Imagination: Interpretations of Nature, Art and Politics, Nordic Geographers Meeting 2015, University of Tallinn and Tartu, Estonia. 16.06.2015.
- Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Guest lecture) Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway, 24.03.2015.
- The Window and I: Reframing Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Seminar presentation) Materialist Ecological Architecture, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London, UK, 11.03.2015.
- Following Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Conference paper) What happens Next? Nordic Research Network 2015) The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, 19.02.2015.
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place. (Guest lecture) Site-writing, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London, UK. 14.01.2015 and 14.01.2014.
- Phenomenology and Architecture: From Enzo Paci to Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Guest lecturer) Milan XX, AA school, London, UK, 22.10.2014.
- Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Conference paper) Architecture in Translation, The Venice Architectural Biennale, Venice, Italy, 28.09.2014.
- Windows: Close or Distant to Nature? (Conference paper) Distance and Proximity, UCL, London, UK.
- Filmmaking as research methodology. (Guest lecture) Academic Soiree, Hertford College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place. (Presentation) Cities Methodologies 2013, 26.04.2013
Other Teaching Experience
- Invited critic at The Bartlett School of Architecture’s Unit 24 and Critical Spatial Practice, MA.
- Workshop co-coordinator, “Mixed Methods: Architecture Research Methodologies”, at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture, 15-18.06.2019.
- Workshop coordinator, “Separating sound an image: a workshop on film and architecture” at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture. 30 – 31.03.2019.
- Workshop coordinator, “Light, Place, Architecture: Filmmaking at Can Lis” for artists and PhD candidates, Can Lis, Majorca. 15 – 18.01.2017.
- Completed UCL Teaching Associate Program, Autumn 2016. Reference: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2016 – Director of the Competition, London Architecture Film Festival 2017
- 2017 – Co-organisor Film|Making|Space Royal Academy of Arts – Architecture, London, UK.
- 2014 – 2016. Founder and Coordinator of The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network. London, UK.
- 2016. Research Assistant. Architecture | Essay |Film, symposium. The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. London, UK.
- 2009 – 2016. Editor. Halden Skiklubbs jubileumskalender Halden, Norway.
- 2012 – 2013. Building Tour Guide. The Royal Institute of British Architects, London, UK.
- 2012. Building Tour Guide. The Oslo City Hall, Oslo, Norway.
- 2011 – 2012. VJ and Editor of Arts and Culture. Oslo Student TV, Oslo, Norway.
- 2009. Substitute teacher. Rodsberg Ungdomskole, Halden, Norway.
- Jan – Feb 2017 – Can Lis residency Majorca, The Utzon Foundation/The Danish Arts Foundation, Majorca, Spain.
- Feb 2016 – The Norwegian Institute in Rome, Rome, Italy.