Dr Anna Ulrikke Andersen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Disobedient Buildings Project, University of Oxford
2021 Fellow Future Architecture, the European Architecture Programme
Studieleder NRF Østfold 2020/2022
Film Study Center Harvard Fellow 2018/2019
Architectural Historian and Filmmaker
annaulrikkeandersen [@] yahoo.com
Twitter Academia.edu Vimeo Instagram
- an A to X of Chronic Illness: patients’ architectural histories (an incomplete guide) 2018 –
- The Fenestral Essay Film 2011-2018
- Architecture and Translation 2012-2018
- 2020 – 2022. Postdoctoral Reseracher at the Disobedient Buildings Project, School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography, Univeristy of Oxford. Funded by AHRC.
- 2021. Fellow Future Architecture, European Architecture Programme.
- 2020. Co-director of Ubehandlet with Anne Silje Bø. Funded by The Norwegian Arts Fund.
- 2019. Vising Scholar at Vanderbilt University. Sponsored by Professor Lutz Koepnick.
- 2018 – 2019. Film Study Center Harvard Fellow, Harvard University. Visiting Fellow at the Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, Harvard University. Sponsored by Professor Lucien Castaing-Taylor.
- 2018 – 2019. Viken Filmsenter Fordypningsstipend
- 2014 – 2018. PhD Architectural Design, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, UK. “Ten Windows Following Christian Norberg-Schulz: framing, mobility and self-reflection explored through the fenestral essay film.” Supervision: Professor Jane Rendell and Dr Claire Thomson.
- 2012 – 2013. MA Architectural History (Distinction), The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, UK.
- 2009 – 2012. BA Art History (First degree), University of Oslo, Norway.
- 02/2008 – 06/2008. C1 German Language Diploma, ActiLingua, Vienna, Austria.
- Architecture Beyond Sight (2019).
- Cleaning at Utzon’s (2019).
- Calypso y Bolero (2019).
- X for Methotrexate (2019).
- H for Hand (2018).
- Villa Casino (2018).
- X / Earwitness (2018) co-directed with Ruth Bernatek.
- Calcata (2017).
- Journey to Italy (2017).
- The Norwegian Institute in Rome (2016).
- The Death of a Chemist (2016).
- The Window and I (2015).
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place (2013).
- Pies i Kot (2010) co-directed with Lars Ole Kristiansen.
- “The Death of the Chemist: the role of sound in the life and work of Christian Norberg-Schulz explored through the essay form in film and writing” InForma Journal, 12, September 2019, 176-187.
- “The Norwegian Institute in Rome” Screenworks, 10, September 2019.
- “Translation in the Architectural Phenomenology of Christian Norberg-Schulz,” Architectural Research Quarterly, 2018, 22:1, 81-90.DIO: 10.1017/S1359135518000088
- “Architecture Beyond Sight: Filming Blindness” in Forms of the Cinematic: Architecture, Arts, and the Sciences, Ed. Mark Breeze. London: Bloomsbury Press, 2021.
- “Water: Changeante comme la mer” in Film as Resonance, eds. Thi Phuong-Trâm Nguyen and Sander Hölsgens, 20-27. London: University College London, 2017.
- “Windows”, Episode 50 of The Boring Talks, BBC. 06.04.2020. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05t3gr2
- “Kjemikerens død [The Death of the Chemist]”, in Site-Writing, ed by Jane Rendell, 01.04.2019. https://site-writing.co.uk/kjemikerens-dod-the-death-of-the-chemist-23-26-may-2016/
- “Agnès Varda in a Box: Inhabiting TOUT(e) VARDA” in Montages Magazine, 30.03.2019.https://montagesmagazine.com/2019/03/agnes-varda-in-a-box-inhabiting-toute-varda/
- “Architecture Experienced: Christian Norberg-Schulz’s autobiography” (“Experiencia de la Arquitectura: autobiografia de Christian Norberg-Schulz”) in Eficiencia + Experiencia: Hacia una arquitectura del confort,edited by Rodrigo Velasco Gómez, Diego Chavarro Ayala, Juanita Botero López and Carlos Iván Rueda Plata, translated from English to Spanish by Constanza Morales Mair, 106 – 119. Bogotá: Universidad Piloto de Colombia, 2018.
- “Bartlett Filmmakers on Top of the World” in Bartlett Doctoral Review. Eds: Stephen Marshall, 17. London: The Bartlett School of Architecture, 2018. https://issuu.com/ucl82/docs/bartlett_doctoral_review_2018
- “Fill in that Window: a decision by Christian Norberg-Schulz” in Lobby 1961. Lobby Magazine, London, 2017.
- “Norwegian Films Make a Strong Mark on the Inaugural Edition of Architecture Film Festival London” in Montagesmagazine.com, 26.05.2017.
- “Preface” in Film as Resonance, eds. Thi Phuong-Trâm Nguyen and Sander Hölsgens. London: University College London, 2017.
- “Following Christian Norberg-Schulz” in Lobby Clairvoyance, Lobby Magazine. London, 2015.
- “Det ytre mot det indre: om symbiosen mellom juvet landskapshotell og ex-machina” Montages.no. 07.05.2015.
- “Hva er Nordisk filmfestival?” Montages.no
- “Translation Transposition Translocation” in Bartlett 2014, p 307. London, 2014.
- “A Study of a Window” in Room 101. London, 2013.
- Unpublished MA report: Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz, 1973 – 1980. The Bartlett School of Architecture, 2013.
- “Hvordan skal vi minnes?” Klassekampen. 02.08.2011.
- “Introduction” (2008) “Kapitalisme” (2008) “Utlandet” (2009) “Bursdag” (2010) issues of the comic book Circus Universe
Public presentations and guest lectures
- Revisiting Histories (Panellist) by Future Architecture, Creative Exchange 2021, MAO Museum of Architecture and Design, Slovenia, 04.03.2021.
- Disability, Architecture and Anthropology, (Guest Lecturer) University College London, Anthropology and the Built Environment, 12-13.02.2021
- Filmmaking for Architecture (Guest Lecturer) Leeds Beckett University, At a Distance: Spaces of Encounter and Care. 12 and 22.02.2021.
- Remote Research During a Pandemic (Panellist) by Alen Agaronov, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, 05.05.2020.
- Finishing the PhD (Guest lecturer) at The Bartlett School of Architecture, Work in Progress PhD Seminar, 07.04.2020.
- Sanatorium Series (Panellist) by Abi Palmer, Sanatorium Series/Penned in the Margins, 06.04.2020.
- The Practice-Led Thesis (Guest lecturer) at Graduate Seminar, Comparative Media Analysis and Practice, at Vanderbilt University, 19.11.2019.
- Looking at Windows: The Essay Form in Film and Writing as a Method of Architectural History (Guest Lecturer) at Vanderbilt University, 18.11.2019
- Alternative Views: MRI and X-ray in Critical Spatial Practices, (Guest lecturer) at Harvard Biorobotics Laboratory 13.06.2019
- Filming Christian Norberg-Schulz’s Windows (Guest lecturer) at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture. 27.03.2019
- Experiencing Architecture: Christian Norberg-Schulz’s autobiography (Keynote) Eficiencia + Experiencia: Hacia una arquitectura del confort, Bogotá: Universidad Piloto de Colombia, 29-31.08.2018
- The Fenestral Essay Film (Guest speaker) Figurations, The Bartlett School of Architecture, 25.04.2018.
- Architecture and Film (Introduction and Chair) Arctic Moving Image and Film Festival, Harstad, 22.10.2017.
- The Making of an Architectural Essay film: Calcata (2017) (Guest lecturer) Situated Practices MA, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, 12.10.2017.
- From Above (Introduction and Chair) Architecture Film Festival London, Institute of Contemporary Arts, 11.06.2017.
- From Les Fenêtres to Genius Loci: Norberg-Schulz’s adaption of Rainer Maria Rilke’s Windows (Conference paper) PhD research projects conference, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, 21.02.2017.
- Water (Conference presentation) Postmodernism Interest Group, EAHN 2016) University of Dublin, 01.06.2016.
- The Death of the Chemist (Lecture) Trondheim Academy of Fine Art, NTNU, 23.05.2016.
- Christian Norberg-Schulz’s Windows: From Rilke’s Les Fenêtres to genius loci. (Seminar presentation) Norsk Moderne Arkitektur, The University of Oslo, 29.04.2016.
- The Death of the Chemist (Seminar presentation) Found Footage | Archival Material, The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. 03.12.0216
- Other Windows (Seminar) The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture. 10.01.2016.
- The Weight of Cinema (Seminar presentation) On the Shoot! The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. 03.12.0216
- The Window and I (Conference paper) Geographical Imagination: Interpretations of Nature, Art and Politics, Nordic Geographers Meeting 2015, University of Tallinn and Tartu, Estonia. 16.06.2015.
- Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Guest lecture) Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway, 24.03.2015.
- The Window and I: Reframing Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Seminar presentation) Materialist Ecological Architecture, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London, UK, 11.03.2015.
- Following Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Conference paper) What happens Next? Nordic Research Network 2015) The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, 19.02.2015.
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place. (Guest lecture) Site-writing, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London, UK. 14.01.2015 and 14.01.2014.
- Phenomenology and Architecture: From Enzo Paci to Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Guest lecturer) Milan XX, AA school, London, UK, 22.10.2014.
- Translation Transposition Translocation: The Development of a Phenomenology of Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz. (Conference paper) Architecture in Translation, The Venice Architectural Biennale, Venice, Italy, 28.09.2014.
- Windows: Close or Distant to Nature? (Conference paper) Distance and Proximity, UCL, London, UK.
- Filmmaking as research methodology. (Guest lecture) Academic Soiree, Hertford College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- The Spirit of the [Natural] Place. (Presentation) Cities Methodologies 2013, 26.04.2013
Other Teaching Experience
- Invited critic at The Bartlett School of Architecture’s Unit 24 and Critical Spatial Practice, MA.
- Workshop co-coordinator, “Mixed Methods: Architecture Research Methodologies”, at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture, 15-18.06.2019.
- Workshop coordinator, “Separating sound an image: a workshop on film and architecture” at University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture. 30 – 31.03.2019.
- Workshop coordinator, “Light, Place, Architecture: Filmmaking at Can Lis” for artists and PhD candidates, Can Lis, Majorca. 15 – 18.01.2017.
- Completed UCL Teaching Associate Program, Autumn 2016. Reference: email@example.com
- 2016 – Director of the Competition, London Architecture Film Festival 2017
- 2017 – Co-organisor Film|Making|Space Royal Academy of Arts – Architecture, London, UK.
- 2014 – 2016. Founder and Coordinator of The Bartlett Film+Place+Architecture Doctoral Network. London, UK.
- 2016. Research Assistant. Architecture | Essay |Film, symposium. The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL. London, UK.
- 2009 – 2016. Editor. Halden Skiklubbs jubileumskalender Halden, Norway.
- 2012 – 2013. Building Tour Guide. The Royal Institute of British Architects, London, UK.
- 2012. Building Tour Guide. The Oslo City Hall, Oslo, Norway.
- 2011 – 2012. VJ and Editor of Arts and Culture. Oslo Student TV, Oslo, Norway.
- 2009. Substitute teacher. Rodsberg Ungdomskole, Halden, Norway.
- Jan – Feb 2017 – Can Lis residency Majorca, The Utzon Foundation/The Danish Arts Foundation, Majorca, Spain.
- Feb 2016 – The Norwegian Institute in Rome, Rome, Italy.